Monday, December 3, 2012

My Capstone


The beginning of conversations now:

Me: What's your major?

He/She: Biology, Nursing, or Business...etc................ But I don't know

Me: What you mean?

He/She: I don't really even know if I want that to be my major. That's just the first thing that popped into my head.

Me: O ok, but don't you think that you should be deciding soon on what you going to do before you waste time and money in classes and then decide to change your major.

He/She: Yeah I know.


          Concluding that, my capstone project involves how before one chooses a career he/she should have the right to find out what that person really does. I say at the end of 2 years after most of your basics are done your advisors should require you to go and do your research on the career by writing a paper and going and spend a week with an experienced person to see if that's what you really want to do almost every day of your life. This is my overall idea.

        In my visual aid I began with a high school student and he had just graduated chose a career and a school. He decided he wanted to be a doctor. I chose to make him want to be a doctor because a lot of people are just like him they want to title of doctor and think that it is easier enough to achieve. The guy in my visual aid though forgets one thing about a doctor he doesn't like which is the sight of blood; so now that this comes upon him he realizes that a career change is in order. He decides to choose business as a major and decides he actually likes it. He finishes school and is able to get a job doing something he feels comfortable with.

        I researched this particular topic because I know a lot of people that sit on wasted degrees. Researching this topic was at times difficult until I ran upon this thing that PBS is trying to do with the younger kids and even teenagers. They are trying to get them involved with their likes and if they don't have anything certain they are to take aptitude test in which your results will place you somewhere and it's up to you to decide if you like it or not. That got me to thinking; if someone could do that for the younger it has to work for the ones that are older and not so sure that they chose the right career. To see the visual aid I worked on click on the link below.
http://www.glogster.com/ketab/capstone-project/g-6l4e2l2k1m7iuv1bmnpv6a0

1 comment:

  1. Sheketa, Very interesting project. I especially loved the electronic poster you created to illustrate your concept. Well done!

    ReplyDelete